A LIFETIME OF PASSION FOR THE UNDERWATER WORLD
Last year SAAMBR (South African Association of Marine Biological Research) hosted a series of presentations titled ‘Living Legends’- people who have contributed to marine science and education in KZN. Dennis was one of the six people nominated and he gave a presentation on his involvement in marine life as a citizen scientist.
He will share his story again about his life time passion for the underwater world, and tell us about his 60 years of diving experiences, adventures, contributions and achievements he has made. His story proves that marine biology does not have to be your career to make a contribution to science and education.
Dennis was born and educated in the UK where he learnt to SCUBA dive in his early teens.
In 1968 he immigrated to South Africa and became a keen marine aquarist and subsequently developed a passion for underwater photography. Over the years he has made many photographic contributions to scientific publications, books and magazines. He has also published several books on marine fish identification. He has documented many new fish distributional records and was responsible for the discovery of the tiger angelfish – Apolemichthys kingi off Durban. He lives in St Lucia KZN and is a practicing Structural Engineer.
CAMERA SETUP & COMPETITION ADVICE
- Taking winning pics is not as simple as just knowing how to compose and expose the shot correctly.
- How to assess what level you’re at and what category you should be competing in. How to prepare and to plan your winning shots.
- The rules and an explanation of the judging process.
- Responsible diving techniques.
- Setting up your gear correctly.
WIDE ANGLE WONDERS
- The techniques to employ for the perfect wide angle photo including basics on the principles of underwater photography.
- Using aperture and shutter priority modes, full manual settings and of course the principles of how light behaves underwater and the use of strobes .
- How to avoid backscatter.
KING OF COMPOSITION
- The use of diagonals
- The rule of thirds- and much much more
WATER (PART ONE) & ENERGY (PART TWO)
“Water” and “Energy” is aimed at broadening UWP’s minds in terms of their approach to these medium. It will challenge photographers approach to UWP in a way that will allow them to create new and interesting images with a whole new dynamic. It also challenges the norm, the antiquated, and the expected.
Pop in for something different, each session will have an open question and answer session on pretty much anything related to UW photography and pre-and post-processing of images even though it is not the main objective.
SOCIAL MEDIA FOR BUSINESS
Are you using digital marketing to tell a story about your business? How are you reaching your loyal customers and potential customers online? What do people find when they search for your business online, and how do you join conversations that could reach new markets? This workshop will cover all these questions and more, with a special focus on story-telling and joining the #DiveSouthAfrica conversation.
SODWANA BAY GEMS
Neville will be sharing hidden gems and interesting facts about the ocean that he has learned over his 30 years of leading dives in Sodwana Bay.